Wednesday, June 1, 2011

CS Discussion // The (Dark) Skin You're In

I've finally watched a video that's been floating around the net for a few weeks that was addressing the topic of dark skin. I must say, being a darker toned woman, that the ideals & stories shared by the women & men reflect direct encounters I've experienced in my life. 
"You're pretty...for a dark skinned girl" 

and
"If only you were lighter"  

were statements frequently heard. I'm sure a few of you have dealt with such derogatory declarations, or maybe even worse, for yourselves. I hated feeling so worthless & was very shy due to my color. Even now sometimes, myself or other darker hued women are still subject to this type of atrocity...

For those who have not seen the video, here it is. Please view and share your thoughts on the self-imposed caste system we've bound our people to.

No comments:

Post a Comment