Thursday, September 9, 2010

Food For Thought: The Sankofa

Alot of people tend to notice my Sankofa bird tattoo, and I always get asked about its meaning. Sometimes, I will take the time to actually explain it in full. Luckily, I'm in the explaining mood and just felt like sharing the meaning with you...

"Sankofa" teaches us that we must go back to our roots in order to move forward. That is, we should reach back and gather the best of what our past has to teach us, so that we can achieve our full potential as we move forward. Whatever we have lost, forgotten, forgone or been stripped of, can be reclaimed, revived, preserved and perpetuated.

Visually and symbolically "Sankofa" is expressed as a mythic bird that flies forward while looking backward with an egg (symbolizing the future) in its mouth.

Most people usually get the other symbol, made popular by Janet Jackson, (you can see it HERE) but I think mine is unique and stands out... Does that remind you of someone? Me! LOL

Plus, I got to doll it up with my favorite colors, pink and green. I'm actually thinking of added to the tail, maybe a bracelet to symbolize Karma.. to have the "what goes around, comes around" meaning to it. But, I'm not sure about that, just yet...
Blogger Templates

No comments:

Post a Comment